Attendance and Punctuality
Working in Partnership
All children have the right to education, based on equality of opportunity, and at Ss. Peter and Paul we aim to develop good attendance and punctuality to give our pupils the best chance in life.
The most important factor in promoting good attendance and punctuality is the development of positive attitudes towards school, so we endeavour to make our school a happy and rewarding experience for all our children. A child’s success at school is likely to be affected negatively if their attendance is poor so regular attendance and consistent punctuality are essential if children are to take full advantage of school and gain the appropriate skills to equip them for life.
Children who do not attend regularly may fall behind in their learning, leading to underachievement, both academically and socially.
It is our expectation that every child attends school every day that school is in session, as long as they are fit and healthy enough to do so. We actively encourage the children to attend, and we put in place appropriate procedures to ensure that we are improving and monitoring attendance.
Please remember that school starts at 8:55 am and being frequently late for school adds up to lost learning:
- Arriving 5 minutes late every day adds up to over 3 days lost each year
- Arriving 15 minutes late every day is the same as being absent for 2 weeks a year
- Arriving 30 minutes late every day is the same as being absent for 19 days a year
Encouraging excellent attendance and punctuality
Our school attendance target for 2020-21 is set at 96.8%.
- Each week in assembly, we award a trophy to the class with the highest attendance over the week, and a 2nd one for the class whose attendance shows the greatest improvement.
- Each term, you will receive your child’s attendance certificate to keep you fully informed.
- Concerning attendance will be followed up with a letter, the purpose of which is to alert you to the impact of absence on your child's progress.
Consistently high attendance across the school year will be celebrated and rewarded at the end of the summer
100% attendance – absolutely outstanding!
96% attendance or higher – Great! Keep it up!
91% to 95.9% attendance – concerns raised because of impact on progress
91% and below - serious concerns and impact on progress
Click on the links below for files to download
Click here to view Wirral LA’s school attendance website
If you wish to discuss your child’s attendance, please contact us on 0151 6392991